Welcome to the official website of the Summer Village of WestCove. Alberta.
What's New & Alerts
The following amendment to Land Use Bylaw 293-10 was adopted at the council meeting on August 11, 2014
Three nominations were received for the by-election.
Complaint Line: 1-844-786-4650 or 1-780-786-4650
The Compost Collection/Burn Pit is open from May to October every Saturday from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.Only accepting branches, leaves, grass clippings, lake weeds.
December 31st last payment date for all outstanding taxes to avoid penalties.
Please be advised that the Highway 43 East Waste Commission, at their Executive Meeting on Friday, October 29th, 2010, discussed the issue of illegal dumping of garbage on public roadways. The Commission encourages each and every municipality to advise their resident's that this is illegal, and further, any person caught doing this will be charged under the Environmental Protection Act, Section 179(1), and fined up to $250.00, Section 228(3)(a). Further, assistance from the public is needed to identify individuals who may be illegally dumping their waste.
Council has commenced a process of review of the land use bylaw. A volunteer committee, comprised of four members, was formed to review the bylaw and compare it to other comparable community bylaws.
New Home Buyer Protection ActThe New Home Buyer Protection Act (NHBPA) will come into force effective February 1, 2014 as part of the Government of Alberta's ongoing commitment to improving consumer protection, recourse options and builder accountability for new homes built in Alberta. Builders or new homeowners who have questions or want more details can refer to the Municipal Affairs' website.www.municpalaffairs.ablerta.ca/NHBP or contact Municipal Affairs at 1-866-421-6929.
The Summer Village has an agreement with Ever Green Ecological Services Ltd. to collect solid waste in the Village. This is an automated system and includes both household pickup as well as organics pickup.
We would like to invite anyone who is interested in being a part of the Westcove Community league to join us. If you require any further information please contact Shauna at 780-892-3071.
Please note that all candidates were offered the opportunity to send a mailout to all ratepayers.
By-election: Saturday, October 25, 2014
Saturday, October 25, 2014 - last day the burn pit is open
Next council meeting: Due to councillor's work schedule conflicts, the meeting has been changed from Thursday, October 30, 2014 at 7:00 p.m. to Monday, October 27, 2014 at 7:00 p.m.
Here you can read the latest top stories.
The Summer Village would like to address/respond to/clarify a number of inaccurate statements contained in election material currently being circulated by Mr. Breton.
- Breton’s comments on the Land Use Bylaw – It is a regular practice of the Development Officer to issue permits and Stop Work Orders as required in the summer village. No one individual is targeted over another. The Development Officer acts on complaints and inquiries made by ratepayers. The Development Officer has no knowledge of who Dave Breton’s supporters are and this is not a consideration of any required activities. The passage of time does not factor into compliance. You are either in compliance or you are not.
- Breton’s comments regarding the maintenance contract and the Tree removal contract – Council followed the practice adopted by all previous Councils including the former Mayor Breton in awarding contracts. Current council has long since changed this practice. This is a dead issue and there is little value in rehashing it endlessly.
- Breton’s comment regarding a contract to install the No Parking signs – As Council has said before; there was no contract for this; the signs were installed as part of the regular duties of the maintenance personnel.
- Breton’s comment regarding payment for the maintenance contract – Council is willing to provide this information to anyone who makes a request to the Summer Village Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Breton’s comment regarding propane tanks - Councillor Worden has never had a conversation or a dispute with her neighbour regarding the neighbour’s propane tank. Councillor Worden has no comment regarding her neighbour’s propane tank.
- Breton’s comment regarding responding to complaints – Council takes all complaints from all ratepayers seriously, and addresses them to the best of their abilities.
- Breton’s comments regarding personal information – Council and the CAO have not and do not provide anyone’s personal information to any other party.
- Breton’s comments regarding Administration and Council going after ratepayers – Council and Administration do not under any circumstances go after ratepayers. You are either in compliance with the summer village bylaws or you are not.
- Breton’s comments regarding his web site and email list – While it is Mr. Breton’s right to have the web site and an email list it is not the official communication regarding West Cove’s business and affairs and Council accepts no responsibility for the content of either the website or the email communication.
Council for the Summer Village of West Cove